» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
How to Replace Light Switches
How to Replace a Light Switch – Single pole switches will only have two switched wires and the connection of these two wires to the terminal screws of the switch will not matter, or the polarity is not crucial.
Keeping Track of the Power and Fixture Wires Is The Key
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am replacing three switches in my kitchen in same circuit box, One light switch controls one light fixture and two switches control light/fan combination units. I got the first switch to work but the 2nd and 3rd switch to the fan don’t work – Please explain how this should be wired.
This electrical wiring question came from: David , a Homeowner from Virginia beach, VA
Additional Comments: Very informative.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
How to Replace a Light Switch
- First, must make sure that the lighting circuit is identified and the power is turned off.
- Next, identify the power source or the wire that provides power to the light switch.
- Then identify the wire leading to the light fixtures.
- Single pole switches will only have two switched wires and the connection of these two wires to the terminal screws of the switch will not matter, or the polarity is not crucial.
- The Bare Ground wire is attached to the Green Ground Screw of the light switch.
- Take it one step at a time, work with one switch at a time.
Light Switch Wiring
Kitchen Electrical Wiring Requirements
This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic kitchen electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Lighting, Wiring Diagram and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagrams and Connections||Shocking Kitchen Garbage Disposal Problem|