» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
How to Pass an Electrical Inspection for Recessed Lighting
Electrical Wiring Methods for Recessed Light Fixtures: Installing the Electrical Wiring, Terminating the Electrical Wire, Connecting the Wire to the Light Fixture.
Electrical Wiring for Recessed Lighting
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I just had an electrical inspection for my recessed lighting project and it did not pass inspection.
- The inspector identified the following problem with the Light Fixture Wiring:
- Item #17 – Require all recessed luminaire(s) (light fixture)(s) to have type NM cable (Romex) supplying same to be terminated by an approved means. (No cable clamp or connector).
- I’m unsure as to what he may mean by that since after pulling down the recessed lighting fixture, they appear to be terminated properly.
- What do you think the problem may be and how I can go about fixing it?
This electrical wiring question came from Jason, in Springfield, Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jason.
Common Mistakes when Wiring Recessed Lighting and How to Fix Them
Electrical Wiring Methods for Recessed Light Fixtures
- Installing the Electrical Wiring
- Wiring using Type NM cable is a common cable for home electrical wiring.
- Terminating the Electrical Wire
- The terminating the cable wiring must use an approved method to protect the cable as it enters the light fixture junction box.
- Connecting the Wire to the Light Fixture
- An approved cable connector is one that secures the cable in place as it enters the light fixture box.
- Typically a half inch plastic cable connector with a clamp works well for this application.
- Another alternative for a cable connector is a 2-screw cable connector.
- NOTE: Some recessed light fixtures, such as the Cooper Lighting Halo Recessed Light fixture, come with built-in cable clamps which serve as an approved cable clamp and connector.
More about Wiring Recessed Light Fixtures
How To Install Recessed Lighting
- Installing recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Lighting, Recessed Can Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What Size Main Disconnect Breaker in a Sub Panel||Recessed Lighting Designs and Installation Factors|