How to Install a Motion Detector Light to Replace the Porch Light
How to Wire a Motion Detector Light Fixture: Installing a motion detector light to replace a porch light.
Guide to Installing a Motion Detector Light Fixture
I am attempting to install a motion detector light to replace the porch light on my home.
- Inside the junction box, both the black and the white wires are extremely short. The run in the wall is probably only about 5 to 6 ft to the switch inside the back door.
- Can I extend these wires so I can strip off a bit to get a clean connection? I would probably have to do this at the switch end and not the junction end because there is not much to work with.
- I see that the junction box is not water tight. This fixture is for the back door entry to my home so the siding is the congregated metal type.
- Do they make a junction to accommodate the older homes with this type of siding? I’ve read I can caulk around the junction but the gap is quite wide. Also, I have no idea what the wire size is because again, it’s so short and old I could barely get the old light disconnected.
- Of course now the existing wires look a bit haggard. I’m not sure what type of wiring they used in my home but I thought it would be great if I could just disconnect at the switch, then connect the new wire with the old and pull it all up and out through the junction?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
This Electrical Wiring Question came from: Diane, a Homeowner from Sacramento, California.
Additional Comments: I’ve just found your site and think you’ve just about covered everyone’s needs. Great Job!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Diane.
How to Wire a Motion Detector Light Fixture
- Wiring from the Switch Box
If the length of wire from the switch box to the light fixture is to short it would be good to replace if you have access.
- Type of Fixture Box
A weather proof surface mounted fixture box can be purchased and installed onto the exterior of the home.
- The Size of the Fixture Box
Make sure that the fixture box and the base of the motion detector light fixture are the same size.
More about Wiring a Motion Detector Light Fixture
Motion detector wiring
Installing Motion Detector Light Fixtures
Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Voltage Problems and Solutions||Kitchen Tile and Electrical Outlets and Wiring|