How to Get Electrical Training
How Can I Get Started in the Electrical Trade to Become an Electrician? Training for an Electrical Career, Residential Electrical Wiring and Electrician Training.
Training to Be an Electrician
Electrical Question: How Can I Get Started in the Electrical Trade to Become an Electrician?
I was recently asked about how someone can get started in the electrical trade.
The good news is that the electrical trade is not limited just to wiring new homes, in fact, the electrical industry has three major sectors:
- Residential Home Wiring.
- Commercial for Businesses.
- Industrial for Manufacturing.
Electrical Wiring and Electrician Training
Each sector of the electrical industry has a wide variety of opportunities available, from low voltage communications to high voltage and electrical distribution. Couple that with new sources of renewable energy alternatives that require installation and maintenance and you will see that the electrical trade is almost limitless.
Training for a Career in the Electrical Industry
- A Career in the Electrical Industry
- Because the majority of the worlds population relies heavily on electricity several times daily, the electrical trade is a great occupation for many even when the economy slows down in other areas. This is especially true in the area of residential wiring where homeowners are remodeling and upgrading aging electrical systems.
- The area of electrical services and maintenance will always be active due to many home improvements based on new technologies that are increasingly available for areas such as lighting and security as well as improved high efficiency lighting and control devices. These features help us to move closer toward a Green Environment while at the same time creating a reduction in energy consumption.
- All of these topics have been of great interest to me during my electrical career of over 38 years in this great industry, starting while I was a youngster helping my father who was an electrician. Like my Dad, maybe your father is not an electrician, but there are still several ways to start your training for the electrical industry, in fact there are more ways to get trained now than there were just a few years ago.
- Vocational Electrical Training
- Electrical training can start as early as high school where vocational training centers offer a beginning education and hands on experience while constructing a model home.
- Online Electrical Training Courses
- Online Electrical training and educational courses are a great way to begin your basic understanding about electricity and home electrical wiring. This type of video course typically includes instructor narration and visual examples throughout the course.
- With a study course such as this you can begin anytime and learn at your own pace. Many quality online learning programs provide online instructor assistance, handouts and resources as well as a certificate of completion.
- This type of course is very affordable, and once you are enrolled you may access the course materials for review whenever the need arises, and then apply the information to your electrical project or during your career.
- Organizations with Training Opportunities
- There are many organizations that offer courses in electrical education including 4-H Clubs, Future Farmers of America, and the Boy Scouts of America just to name a few.
- I’m sure other countries have similar organizations as well.
- Apprenticeship Training and Electrical Schools
- Most states offer educational training and apprenticeship programs with more aggressive studies in specific areas of the electrical trade, some of which are supported by major manufacturers of electrical parts and supplies.
- This is a great way to start learning while getting familiar with new technologies being introduced into the industry.
- On the Job Hands On Electrical Training
- Several electrical service and construction companies offer new hires the opportunity to begin working out in the field with a senior journeyman or master electrician.
- On the job training is one of the most valuable experiences one could have as you would be learning many techniques that may never be taught in a book.
- If you ever find yourself working side by side with a seasoned electrician consider yourself fortunate and learn everything you can.
- Advances in Energy and Electricity
- Our many uses of electricity are beginning to change, and so is the production of electricity, but one thing for sure, we will never stop relying on it, so the future remains bright with many opportunities in the electrical industry.
See More about Electrical Wiring and Electrical Training
Learn the Basics of Home Electrical Wiring
Electrician Training Programs and Certification Requirements for individuals who wish to pursue a career as an electrician.
Home Electrical Wiring
Wiring Electric Panels
Home Electrical Wire
Install Electrical Wiring
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering the National Electrical Code for home electrical wiring.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Training and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Sources for Electrical Training Courses||What is the Best Way to Become an Electrical Apprentice?|