How To Fix Your Phone Jack Wiring
I changed some of the telephone jacks, now some phones do not work right. How to Check your Phone Jack Wiring and Get a Dial Tone.
Phone Jack Wiring and Repairs
Electrical Question: I changed some of the telephone jacks, now some phones do not work right.
- The two phones downstairs work fine, but when I connect the upstairs phone, sometimes it works and other times it will disable all the other phones.
- Sometimes the phone rings once then cuts off. Why is it when I connect the upstairs phone there is a problem?
This electrical question came from: Lance, a Homeowner from Brooklyn, New York.
Thanks for your telephone wiring question Lance.
How to Check Your Phone Jack Wiring and Get a Dial Tone
- I would double check your wiring connections on the phone that is causing all the problems.
- If you notice that the phone line goes dead when you use a different phone then the phone may have a problem, or the telephone wiring may be damaged.
- Go to the telephone wiring diagram and make sure the connections are correct.
Telephone Wiring Diagram
Phone Jack Wiring
- This telephone wiring diagram with photos and instructions will show you the direct steps to correctly wiring a telephone jack.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Removing Light Fixtures When Painting a Room||Wiring Smoke Detectors With Another Circuit »|