How to Fix LED Light and Dimmer Switch Problems
I replaced my 100 watt incandescent flood bulbs with 9 watt LED lights now they do not work. Common Problems with Dimmer Switches and LED Light Bulbs.
Replacing Regular Light Bulbs with LED Lights
Electrical Question: I replaced my 100 watt incandescent flood bulbs with 9 watt LED lights now they do not work.
- I recently replaced all of my 100 watt incandescent flood bulbs in my 30 year old house with 9 W LED lights. Now, none of the what I thought of as three-way switches on the stairs work. OK, I know that older switches and dimmers don’t play nicely with LEDs. So I bought new dimmers and switches that are LED compatible. The old dimmer switch, Switch 1, had a hot connection and both the common and traveler connections, but the Switch 2 was not a three-way switch, simply a two wire on-off switch also connected on one terminal to a hot. I removed Switch 2 and noticed it was a “Remote”, not having a terminal for a traveler. Since Switch 2 does not have a traveler between it and Switch 1, I am confused to replace with LED compatible one. Thanks in advance,
This electrical wiring question came from Steve, a Handyman in Washington DC.
Additional Comments: Thanks for providing a lot of good info for the DIYer.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Steve.
Problems with Dimmer Switches and LED Light Bulbs
Application: Replacing a Dimmer Switch, and Installing LED Light Bulbs.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dimmer switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement dimmer switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used. The dimmer switch must be rated for the amount of watts that will be controlled.
The Most Common Problems with Dimmer Switches and LED Light Bulbs
I believe this problem is a matter of compatibility with the LED lights and with the Light Switches.
- The following devices must all be compatible with each other in order for this type of setup to work properly:
- The two 3-way switches should be the same brand.
- The dimmer switches also must work with LED lights.
- The LED light bulbs must be Dimmable and work with your switches.
More about Wiring Switches and Dimmer Switches
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Installing Home Light Fixtures
Learn about how to install and wire home light fixtures.
|« Ryan asks Why did the Light in my Ceiling Fan Quit Working||Living Room Ceiling Light Not Working »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
LED Lights and Dimmers
Three Way Dimmer Switches
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.