How to Connect and Wire Your Telephone
How to Wire a Telephone Jack: Keep in mind that a telephone only uses one pair of wires. Older telephone cables had four wires with two pairs, and the most commonly used pair was the green and red wire. The black and yellow was used for a second line.
Telephone Wiring Diagrams and Connections
Wiring Telephones: I have a six wire phone and cannot make out going calls.
- The disconnected wires are three white and one blue one.
- I have one blue wire, one attached to a terminal, and I attached the loose blue wire one to it with no result.
- I have four terminals with one attached to each, colors, red wire, blue wire, black wire, and green wire.
- Should a white one be attached to each terminal?
- Or should one white one be attached to another white one, or what do I need to do to able to make out going calls?
This telephone wiring came from: Kelly, a Homeowner from Costa Mesa CA, United States
Thanks for your telephone wiring Kelly.
How to Wire a Telephone Jack
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and access to the telephone wiring.
Precaution: Telephones operate on low voltage however the voltage can increase to about 90 DC volts when an incoming call comes in which could produce a shock so it would be best to unplug the incoming line at the main telephone box of the home before doing any wiring.
Keep in mind that a telephone only uses one pair of wires. Older telephone cables had four wires with two pairs, and the most commonly used pair was the green and red wire. The black and yellow was used for a second line.
The Following will assist you with Telephone Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Phone Jack, Telephone Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a 4-Way Switch||Converting a Light Switch into an Outlet|