How to Add a Ceiling Light Fixture
Installing Wiring for a Ceiling Light Fixture: The process of installing the electrical wiring will depend largely on the access to the area. In some cases the electrical circuit wiring may be extended from an existing ceiling fixture and fished to the location of the new light fixture.
Wiring a Ceiling Light Fixture
Electrical Question: In the new homes in this area they no longer install an overhead light in the bedrooms.
- This is a two story house and some work is on the 1st floor, as well as the 2nd floor.
- When originally built, they installed a switch as you walk into the bedrooms, but that powers a receptacle in that room not a ceiling light.
- What I want to do is install a ceiling light and wire it from the existing switches.
- How difficult is it to fish a wire through ceiling joists without any sheet rock work and how would the wiring diagram look for this?
This electrical wiring question came from: Ed, from Sacramento, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ed.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit or power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Wiring for a Ceiling Light Fixture
- The process of installing the electrical wiring will depend largely on the access to the area.
- In some cases the electrical circuit wiring may be extended from an existing ceiling fixture and fished to the location of the new light fixture. This will depend on how the ceiling framing is laid out and the project requirements.
- When wiring between floors it most likely will involve opening a portion of the sheet rock to create access through the framing.
- Surprisingly, sheet rock repairs are not as difficult as thought when you are good working with tools, and all the materials are available at your local hardware store.
- The electrical wiring should be identified as the ceiling light fixture will require the full circuit power which is not always at the switch box.
- Another option would be to install surface wire molding which is used to install wiring from one location to another.
See More about Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Learn about Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a Bathroom GFI Outlet and Light Switch||Sizing a Generator Transfer Switch|