How Do I Correct Ground Wire Electrical Code Violations?
Correcting the Grounding System of Home Electrical Wiring: I have been upgrading some of the fixtures and dimmer switches in my house, When installing ungrounded fixtures and switches where would I ground them?
The Ground System of Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question #1: I have been upgrading some of the fixtures and dimmer switches in my house.
- It is a recent construction circa 2006. Often times I see that many switches and fixtures throughout my house are not grounded.
- Either the ground wire is not connected to anything or the ground wire has been removed altogether. Is this OK? What problems can arise?
- It has never presented a problem, and everything functions fine.
- Finally, when installing these fixtures and switches where would I ground them? To the junction box?
Thanks for your time and consideration.
Background: Glenn, a Homeowner from Chicago.
Electrical Question #2:
- I am buying a home built in 1958. The inspection came back acceptable but outdated 2 pole wiring with no ground. How do people use common 3 prong devices with a 2 prong wiring system? I have heard about adapters and 2 prong power surges but not sure how reliable these are. How should I upgrade the outlet circuit and add a ground wire?
This electrical wiring question came from in Clarksville, Georgia
Thank you for your electrical questions.
The Essential Grounding System of a Home
Application: Home Electrical Ground System.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical project is best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electrical Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience and the number of switches and outlets being replaced.
Correcting an Ungrounded Condition of Home a Electrical System
- When installing home electrical wiring all wiring must include a ground wire, except low voltage wiring where a ground is optional depending on the low voltage system.
- All electrical ground wires must be bonded or spliced together.
- If the junction box is metallic or provides a ground termination then the ground is to be attached there as well.
- If there is a device that is installed in the electrical junction box such as a switch or outlet and the device has a ground screw terminal then a ground wire must be attached to it as well.
With this information I think you’ll agree that the ground wires of your home electrical wiring system are not bonded which in this case cannot provide the protection that a ground system provides. I would have this taken care of.
NOTE: A electrical contractor would know how to take care of this for you and inspect the integrity of the ground system at the main electrical panel which is vitally important above.
More about Grounding for Electrical Wiring
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.Guide to Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting code.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
- Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
Electrical Codes for Grounding
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Grounding and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What is The Purpose of the Neutral Wire||Wiring a Ceiling Fan with Other Lights and Outlets|