How To Change Switched Outlet Wiring
I have an outlet controlled by a switch that I would like to have so it controls only one of the outlet socket, will I have to rewire anything? How to Change Switched Outlet Wiring.
Switched Outlet Wiring
Electrical Question: I have an outlet controlled by a switch that I would like to have so it controls only one of the outlet socket, will I have to rewire anything?
- I have a standard duplex outlet that is controlled by a light switch. I would like to have it setup so only one of the sockets is controlled by the switch.
- I did some research and read that there is a metal tab between the brass screws that should be removed to break the common current. Am I correct so far?
- My question is, is this all I have to do? Or will I have to rewire anything?
- I don’t want to run new wire or anything so if that is the only way to accomplish this task, it really won’t be worth my time.
Thank you for your time.
This question came from Scott, who is a Homeowner from Brunswick, Maryland.
Thanks for your electrical question Scott.
How to Change Switched Outlet Wiring
Application: Wiring a Half Hot Switched Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best Installed by a Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Specific to the scope of the work and the condition of the home and project. Electricians Tools, including Pouch of Hand Tools, Power Tools, Drill motor and Auger Drill Bits and Extension Cords, and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the circuit power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before installing wiring or working or making connections.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have required inspections.
Changing the Wiring for a Switched Outlet
- If the power originates or starts at the outlet then the metal tab may be removed as you have described.
- Additional wiring adjustments may be required depending on the wiring configuration.
- Please see the additional resources for complete details and wiring instructions and wiring diagrams.
More Switched Outlet Wiring
Fully explained wiring instructions and wiring diagrams can be found here in the Switched Outlet Wiring Diagrams area here in this website. Just click the Switched Outlet Wiring Diagrams link below.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Pictures
Home Electrical Projects
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« What to do About a Tripping Circuit Breaker||How to Connect and Run a Generator »|