Hot Tub Shut Off Switch
How to Install an Emergency Shut Off Switch for a Hot Tub: GFCI Protection, Hot Tub Control Circuit, Hot Tub Time Clock.© By: Dave Rongey
Emergency Shut Off Switch for a Hot Tub
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I would like to install an emergency shut-off switch to a hot tub.
- The shut-off switch would be for the hot tub with a 240volt two-speed water pump on a 20 amp circuit which has three wires: red, black, white plus a ground wire.
- Can I intercept the white common wire with a 20 amp heavy duty single pole switch for purposes of an emergency shut-off, or do I need to intercept the red and black wires with a special switch?
This electrical wiring question came from: John, a Homeowner from Connecticut.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question John.
How to Install an Emergency Shut Off Switch for a Hot Tub
Application: Shut Off Switch for a Hot Tub.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician..
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring. Precaution: Identify the hot tub circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical circuit wiring for the hot tub should be done with a permit and be inspected.
- GFCI Protection
- The hot tub should have GFCI protection, and if not this should be added right away.
- Shut Off Switch
- If you want an emergency shut off switch you should break the two main 240 volt circuit wires through a 2-pole switch or a relay.
- Hot Tub Control Circuit
- Depending on your application you may need a 2-pole switch or a momentary push button that breaks a control circuit which would control a 2-pole switch or contactor or relay.
- The control circuit for the hot tub should be GFCI protected as well.
- Hot Tub Time Clock
- A time clock may be wired into the circuit as well and reduce the energy consumption.
- More specific details about this hot tun installation and application would be helpful so I could be more precise.
More about Wiring a Hot Tub and a Relay
- Hot Tub Wiring
- Electrical Codes and Details for Spa and Hot Tub Wiring.
- Essentials for your installation, including the required GFCI ground fault protection and circuit wire size.
Control Relay Basics and Wiring Relays
Electro-Mechanical Control Relays: Guide to Control Relay Basics and Wiring Relays.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about 220 Volt Wiring, Electrical Wiring, Hot Tub and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|