» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Home Theater and Entertainment System Connections
How to Connect the HDMI Cable for a Flat Screen TV and Home Theater System: HDMI Ports and Connections, High Definition TV HD DVR to HDTV ,Connecting Older AV Audio Video Systems.
Guide to HDMI and AV Cable Connections
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I have recently bit the bullet and brought a LED LCD HDTV to replace my ancient CRT.
However, with a combination of the following:
- Flat Screen TV – LED (Samsung) – TV LED TV.
- Home Theater system (Samsung) – Surround Sound System.
- Media player (Western Digital) and – Media Receiver and Player.
- Hard drive recorder (Panasonic) – HDD Media Recorder.
I am at a lost to what wires and which HDMI cable should feed into which items, in what order.
- I’ve played with a few scenario’s and keep finding that either the Home Theater does not pick up the sound with when the Media Player or HDD Recorder, or I have to switch on the HDD Recorder to use the Media Player which plays back on the TV speakers, but not the Home Theater system.
This Home Theater Question came from: Rita, a Homeowner from Australia.
Additional Comments: very useful diagrams and How-To information that can be easily understood for the newbie’s like me.
Dave’s Reply: Thanks for your Home Theater Question Rita.
Very nice upgrade Rita, check out the following information so you can get with the HDTV experience:
Application: Home Theater HDMI Connections.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a certified electrician or technician.
Tools Required: Basic Straight Slot and Philips Screw drivers for assembling the TV, a Flashlight to help read the Cable Connection Ports.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and assemble the home theater components.
Precaution: If installing or relocating receptacle outlet power make sure to Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Recommended: Select a dependable Surge Protection Plug Strip to be used for all home theater system components to protect against power surges and other home power problems.
How to Connect the HDMI Cable for a Flat Screen TV and Home Theater System
This applies to most flat screen TVs, including LED, Plasma, or LCD HD TVs, and the TV or the DVD player may be Blue Ray and may have the new Smart TV option which allows for internet access to Netflicks, Skype, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter and other services as well.
- HDMI stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface.
- HDMI is a type of digital connection that is capable of transmitting high-definition video and high-resolution audio over a single cable.
- To do the same thing with analog cables, you would need to connect three separate component-video cables and six analog audio cables.
High Definition TV HD DVR to HDTV
- HDMI is typically used to connect a high-definition device such as a HD DVR to a HDTV.
- To make the connection, you simply put one end of the cable into the HDTV’s HDMI input slot and the other end into the device’s HDMI output slot. Just one cable and you’re all set.
If you have an Audio Video receiver just put it in the middle of the signal chain. The output of the AV receiver connects to the HDTV and you connect your high-definition device(s) to the AV receiver’s input.
HDMI Ports and Connections
- If you have more HDMI components then you do HDMI ports or connections then you may have to get a HDMI switcher.
- This is a box with multiple HDMI ports for your devices and a output for your main device.
- These units come with a remote control of their own or you can program it into your universal remote control or PDA, Personal Digital Assistant device, and most likely an iPod.
Connecting Older AV Audio Video Systems
Audio – Right and Left Channels
From the HDD Recorder – Outputs To the Media Player/Amplifier Input
Video – Svideo
From the TV/HDTV Output to the HDD Media
More about Home Entertainment and Home Theater Connections
- Planning your home entertainment and game room should include special attention to data and multimedia device requirements.
This information will help guide you through the process.
Home Entertainment System Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about HDMI, Home Entertainment and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Home Electrical Wiring for Basement Outlets and Switches||Upgrading a Home Electrical Panel|