» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Home Generator Repairs the Right Way
Be Sure Your Home Generator Repairs Do Not Leave You Powerless – have original parts replaced as soon as possible and it is best to have the home generator repairs performed by a factory trained technician.
Certified Home Generator Repair
[ad#block] Generator Question: I have a stationery Kohler 12Res generator located outside house.
- This generator unit is for electrical outages only; it is not used 24/7.
- It was a bad breaker on the generator itself. The generator tech didn’t have a replacement with him, and so he provided a “bypass” temporary fix.
- Will this band-aid fix cause any problems with overload, assuming I don’t use the unit for washer, dryer, air conditioning, or electric range, but is connected to everything else including hot water heater?
- The service company is notoriously slow and I want the breaker replaced ASAP. Can the breaker be replaced by an electrician, or does he need to be a specialist with experience in dealing with the Kohler panel (inside house) and automatic transfer switch?
This electrical question came from: Jack, from Baltimore, Maryland
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in Maryland
Thanks for your electrical question Jack
Home Generator Repairs
- I would be uncomfortable with this repair job because as you have stated the circuit protection of the generator is now gone, so there is no overload protection.
- I would encourage you to have the original circuit breaker replaced as soon as possible and it is always best to have home generator repairs performed by an Kohler certified or factory trained Kohler technician.
- It is not advisable to operate the generator without the circuit breaker installed.
The Following will assist you with Generator Repairs
Home Generators and Transfer Switches
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
- Generator Section
- Basic House Wiring Circuits
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Generators and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Planning and Installing Lighting for a Horse Barn||Dimmer Switch Wiring Connections|