Grounding a Light Fixture Plug
How to Ground a Light Fixture Cord and Plug – By code, if a ground source is not provided, then an outlet or receptacle should not have a ground plug.
Understanding Light Fixture Grounds
Electrical Question: I have a pull string light with a grounding plug.
- I have BX cable going in to the box which is 2 wire.
- Everything in the box is connected.
- Will the grounding plug work?
This electrical wiring question came from: Rocco, a Homeowner from Parkville Maryland
Additional Comments: I like it.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rocco.
How to Ground a Light Fixture Cord and Plug
- Rocco, if the light fixture does not have a ground wire installed of any kind then the ground prong of the light fixture plug will not be grounded.
- The two wire portion of the plug will work, however it will not be grounded.
- By code, if a ground source is not provided, then an outlet or receptacle should not have a ground plug.
- A voltage tester can be used to verify if the fixture box is grounded or not.
The Following will assist you with light fixtures:
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.For more information about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Wiring Two Ceiling Fans and Switches||3-Way Dimmer Switch for Light Fixtures »|