Flat Screen TV Outlet Location
How to Wire a Flat Screen TV Outlet – A recessed box is used so that the flat screen TV may be mounted over or near the electrical box so that the wiring it is hidden and not visible.
Electrical Wiring for a Flat Screen TV
Electrical Question: Hello – I’m afraid this is a rather simplistic question but would very much appreciate some information.
- I have what seems to be flat screen TV hookup with points in two rooms in a house I’m renting.
- They consist of an electrical socket and a TV aerial socket.
- They’re both quite high up on the wall.
- The electrical socket is a round, three pin socket. I’ve never seen a television (in Ireland anyway) with this kind of a plug.
- From what I can tell from my internet searching so far, this may be a 5 amp socket.
- The TV aerial socket is not wired at all. There is nothing behind it. The electrical socket is.
My question is – what kind of appliance could be run from this electrical socket? Could I run a television from it? If not, is there any reason you can think of for installing such a socket high up on a wall?
PS – sorry if this question isn’t appropriate for the website.
Additional Comments: Excellent, friendly website.
Background: Mary, a Homeowner from Ireland.
Thanks for your electrical question Mary.
Application: Electrical Wiring for a Flat Screen TV Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in your local area. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Your question is fine, and I would imagine that the logical reason is as you have stated. This is a typical configuration for a television installation with a 5 amp plug as you have identified which may be used there in Ireland. The only other use could be for a wall clock, but that is not likely because a clock does not require a cable connection, and hopefully they never will.
How to Wire a Flat Screen TV Outlet
- Typically the Electrical Wiring for a Flat Screen TV is installed up on the wall to provide the electrical outlet and the cable connections.
- A recessed box is used so that the flat screen TV may be mounted over or near the electrical box so that the wiring it is hidden and not visible.
- Many of these recessed boxes have a partition where the power outlet is on one side and the TV cable and often the telephone cable is located in an a joining connection plate.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
For more information about Home Wiring
Home Wiring Diagrams
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: More about Outlets
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Lighting Control With A Remote Control Module||Why No Power to Wall Sockets|