Electrical Wiring for Closet Light Fixtures
How to Install Closet Lighting – This method of lighting for a closet is fine because the fluorescent light fixture provides an area that is approved for making the wiring connections and bonding the ground wire to the frame of the light fixture.
Electrical Wiring Methods for Closet Lighting
I have 2 small closets in my house that each have a single fluorescent bulb fixture above the inside of the door affixed to the header.
- There is no box, simply a Romex wire coming through the wall (sheet rock).
- I want to change this. I know the header will prevent me from installing a box.
- I haven’t been able to find any fixtures that will work with the current setup. What do you suggest?
This electrical wiring question came from: George, a Homeowner from Lawrenceburg, Tennessee.
Additional Comments: Great.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question George.
How to Install Closet Lighting
- This method of lighting for a closet is fine because the fluorescent light fixture provides an area that is approved for making the wiring connections and bonding the ground wire to the frame of the light fixture.
- Basically the light fixture has a junction box enclosure installed within the light fixture.
- The wiring methods for protecting and splicing the wiring are to be followed when using this type of light fixture.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Outside Lighting Wiring Diagram||Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Lights from a Wall Plug »|