Electrical Wiring for a Garage Panel
Wiring a Sub Panel for a Garage: Wire Size for a 100 amp Garage Panel, Factors that need to be considered when selecting and sizing the wire size for a sub panel.© By: Dave Rongey
Installing a 100 Amp Panel for a Garage
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I need to install wire from the main service panel to a sub panel in the garage.
I have built a garage and need to run underground wire from the main 100amp service to a 100 amp sub panel in the garage.
- It’s about 40′ run.
- What size wire would I need?
This electrical wiring question came from: Philip, a Handyman from Valdez, Alaska.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Philip.
Wiring a Sub Panel for a Garage
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical project is best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Trenching equipment for installing the underground PVC conduit for the cable to the garage sub-panel location, electricians pouch of hand tools and power tools for boring holes necessary for installing the conduit up to the panel.
Estimated Time: Depends on the level of experience, the method of trenching that will be used, and the available access to the project area.
Notice: Installing a panel to the Home Electrical System should be done with a permit and have all of the required inspections.
Wire Size for a 100 amp Garage Panel
The following is an example of the factors that need to be considered when selecting and sizing the wire size for a sub panel:
- #2 THWN copper wire would be fine for supplying power to a 100 amp sub panel when installing a PVC conduit.
- The #2 AWG copper wire size will be sufficient if the cable will be installed into a PVC conduit and buried at the required depth.
- Keep in mind that the Type of wire will depend specifically on how the sub-panel feed will be installed, whether the cable will be in a conduit or direct buried.
- The wire size will also greatly depend on if the wire will be aluminum or copper.
More about Garage Electrical Wiring
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Electrical Codes
- Electrical Codes for electrical panels and underground wiring.
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Electrical Wiring, Garage Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|