» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
Electrical Wiring For A Dishwasher
Installing Electrical Wiring for a Dishwasher: Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring, The Process for Wiring a Dishwasher.
How to Wire a Dishwasher
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I have a wall switch that I will keep but I want to extend the wiring to a new under bench top switch to run our dishwasher. Can I do that by simply joining additional cable to the earth, power and neutral wires and extending them to the new switch?
Background: Jack, a Homeowner from Manningham, South Australia.
Additional Comments: First use but appears as if it could be very helpful.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jack.
Preparations for Wiring a Dishwasher
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a flashlight and Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
- Precaution: Identify the electric circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- Advice: Be patient – working under the sink on dishwasher and disposal outlets can be very challenging due to cramped space and limited access. I find it very helpful to use a thick towel or throw rug as a cushion against the base of the sink cabinet.
The Process for Wiring a Dishwasher
- It is best to have the dishwasher on a specific circuit that is allocated for a dishwasher.
- Here in the USA the garbage disposal and the dishwasher may share the same 120 volt circuit.
- Extending wiring from a wall switch to provide power for another appliance might not be possible because the wiring for a switch may not include all of the circuit conductors, and this would have to be verified.
- Make sure you research what the circuit requirements are for the dishwasher you have and what is the approved method in Australia, and of course what the dishwasher installation manual specifies.
- New NEC Codes are requiring ground fault protected circuits for these kitchen appliances.
More about Wiring a Dishwasher
Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring
- Fully explained dishwasher disposal.
- Wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal.
- One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
More information about Outlet Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets
- and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Dishwasher, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Shock Hazard From Old Electric Tools||How to Wire a New Dishwasher|