Electrical Wiring for a 220 Volt Compressor
How Electrical Circuit Wiring is Installed for a 220 Volt Air Compressor: I am trying to run 10-3 with ground out to my garage to run a 220 volt air compressor.
Installing a 220 Volt Compressor
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am trying to run 10-3 with ground out to my garage to run a 220 volt air compressor.
- I only need a 20 amp breaker to run the compressor.
- Is 10-3 wire big enough to do this?
- The wire will be in conduit and buried underground.
This electrical question came from: Paul, a Homeowner from Paducah, Kentucky.
Thanks for your electrical question Paul.
Electrical Circuit Wiring is Installed for a 220 Volt Compressor.
How to Wire a 220 Volt Compressor
Application: Electric Circuit for a 220 Volt Air Compressor.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the air compressor circuit and electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the air compressor circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the 220 volt air compressor wiring.
Installing Compressor Circuit Wiring
- Paul, there should not be a problem installing 10 gauge wire for the compressor that you have described.
- If the compressor requires a 20 amp 220 volt circuit you only need 10/2 with ground because a neutral is not required.
- NOTE: Keep in mind that if you will be installing a PVC conduit that it should be sized so that the cable does not take up more than 60% fill of the PVC conduit.
- Consult the owners manual for all electrical equipment for the specific electrical circuit requirements.
More about 220 Volt Circuit Wiring
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical-circuits and electrical-wiring methods.
Electrical Calculations for Voltage Drop
Basic electrical calculations of voltage drop and power factors help you understand the requirements for electrical projects and safe circuit wiring.
Electrical Calculations and Formulas
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 220 Volt Wiring, Air Compressor and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Converting a 240 Volt Circuit to 120 Volt||Tanning Bed Circuit Requirements|