Electrical Question about Telephone Wiring
How to Wire a Telephone Jack and Identify the Phone Line Wire Colors
Electrical Question from Jack about Telephone Wiring
Electrical Question: How to connect the wires to the telephone jack itself. I have a blue to one terminal and a red to another one. Which wires from the line do I connect to those wires? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Background: Jack, a Homeowner from McHenry, IL
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
How to Wire a Telephone Jack
Telephone Jack Wiring
Thanks for your electrical question Jack. Well – You didn’t tell me what color wires you have on the telephone line side coming in so here’s what you do, connect two wires on the terminals, if it does not work just reverse the pair.
- The nice thing about the phone lines is you really can’t hurt anything, well you could blow your service fuse, but that is rare.
- Handle one wire at a time because you could get a tingle if a call comes in and your holding both wires …., you would be the bell!
- More detailed information can be found here in this website. Just click the link to the telephone wiring diagram link below.
This telephone wiring diagram with photos and instructions will show you the direct steps to correctly wiring a telephone jack.
- Phone Line Wire Colors
Telephone Wiring Diagram
- For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
- Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Pictures
Home Electrical Projects
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Telephone System Grounding||4 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams »|