Electrical Question about a HVAC Unit That Trips The Circuit Breaker
How to Locate Problems with an HVAC System: Common Problems with HVAC, Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning Units
How to Troubleshoot an HVAC and Air Conditioner
Question: Last fall my HVAC unit worked fine, the heat worked fine.
- Now when I turn on the air unit it blows the breaker.
- As soon as you reset the breaker it blows immediately.
- Can you tell me what the problem might be.
Background: Fay, a Homeowner from Burlington, Iowa.
Thanks for your electrical question Fay.
How to Locate Problems with an HVAC System
- Application: Troubleshooting – Testing Electrical Circuit Wiring.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on experience and level of problem solving skills.
- Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and should be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Common Problems with HVAC, Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning Units
- Because the heat function of the HVAC unit works then It sounds like there is a problem with the air conditioning components or wiring to these components.
- There could be a problem in the area where the control relay is located.
- If the circuit breaker trips immediately that is typically an indication that there may be a direct short circuit to ground.
- An inspection of the controls area, junction box or wiring termination cabinet would be necessary to look for any visual indication of the cause or problem.
- When a unit such as this trips the circuit breaker immediately there will usually be visual indications of burnt or charred wiring in the area where the problem is.
- Another possibility is that the main wiring leading to the unit has been damaged somewhere between the electrical panel and the unit.
- There are several electrical testing methods that can be used to check each individual wire for continuity to ground or to another wire within the circuit to isolate and evaluate the problem further.
- Once the problem is discovered it will be necessary to find the cause and make the necessary repairs. This is where a qualified HVAC Service Technician will be required.
The Following links will assist you with your Electrical Question
For more information about Circuit Breaker
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Air Conditioner, Electric and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Use Electrical Testers and Meters||How To Wire Half Hot Receptacles|