Electrical Outlet Wiring for a Dryer
How to Wire a Dryer. Indications of Incorrect Dryer Outlet Wiring. A dedicated circuit is required for an electric clothes dryer and the wiring of the dryer outlet must be made correctly.
Wiring a Dryer
[ad#block]Electrical Question: My son wired my dryer outlet when moving the dryer from the basement. Now when I turn on the dryer it makes a loud buzzing noise and then shuts off. While doing this it smells warm. I thought it was the dryer motor so I replaced it, it still made the same noise and shut off. Could it be that the outlet is not wired right?
This electrical question came from: Janice, a Homeowner from Nevada, Missouri.
Thanks for your electrical question Janice.
How to Wire a Dryer
Indications of Incorrect Dryer Outlet Wiring
A dedicated circuit is required for an electric clothes dryer and the wiring of the dryer outlet must be made correctly.
- Janice, yes it could be that the dryer outlet is not wired right, and there could be a serious problem with the way your son installed the new wiring for the dryer.
- From what has been described in this question, do the following IMMEDIATELY:
- The circuit for the dryer should be turned off until the problem has been identified and corrected otherwise there could be an electrical shock hazard and possible damage to the dryer and internal components.
- You should have a licensed electrical contractor make the repairs.
Electrical Circuit for an Electric Clothes Dryer
- A dedicated 30 amp 240 volt circuit is required for an electric clothes dryer.
- This circuit is best installed by a licensed electrical contractor with a permit and all work should be inspected.
More about Wiring a Dryer
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 240 Volt Dryer Circuit and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Rewiring Lights and Switches for an Older Home||Considerations for Electrical Upgrade Wiring|