Electrical Crackling Noise from Surge Protector
Troubleshooting a Surge Protector and Electrical Crackling Noise: How can I locate the source of an electrical crackle noise?
Electrical Crackling Noise
Electrical Question: How can I locate the source of an electrical crackle noise?
- When moving around my surge protector, I noticed a crackling noise. I was not sure if it was coming from the Surge Protector or the electrical outlet.
- A member of my building’s maintenance staff said he thought this noise could be coming from the ultrasonic pest repellent I had plugged into the wall.
Thanks for your assistance!
This electrical wiring question came from Joseph in Wurtsboro, New York.
Additional Comments: The website looks very comprehensive. I intend to use it as a reference, and I’ll recommend it to other people.
Thanks for your great electrical question Joseph.
Surge Protector Crackling Noise
Application: Troubleshooting an Electrical Crackling Noise.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter or plug-in circuit analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the age of the home and the condition of the electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring inspections or electrical repairs. If an outlet or the electrical wiring is found to be damaged then repairs and replacement parts should be obtained with the same voltage and amperage rating.
Troubleshooting a Surge Protector and Electrical Crackling Noise
The following electrical components should be inspected to locate the source of an electrical crackling noise:
- Surge Protector
- Over time with long periods of use a surge protector may become faulty and need to be replaced.
- Look for discolored areas on the surge protector enclosure or a melted area around one of the plug prongs.
- Electrical Outlet
- Wall outlets may become faulty as well and require replacement.
- One indicator of a faulty outlet would be a burnt or discolored area of one of the outlet slots.
- Ultrasonic Pest Repellent
- A ultrasonic pest repellent typically emits a high frequency noise, or a random clicking noise, but be sure to inspect this device for any visible electrical component problems.
WARNING: POSSIBLE FIRE HAZARD
Potential Hazards May Extend from an Electrical Crackling Noise
- Potential Fire Hazard from an Electrical Failure.
- An electrical buzzing sound may be from deteriorating electrical components.
- Heat is often produced from an electrical failure.
- Overheated components may result in a fire.
- Burnt or damaged electrical circuit wiring components or a damaged surge protector unit should be replaced with new electrical parts or materials of the same voltage and amperage rating..
More about Electrical Outlets and Surge Protection
Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Whole House Surge Protectors
Home Surge Protectors Can Prevent Voltage Spikes, Surges and Electrical Disturbances From Damaging Your Computers and Electronic Equipment.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Circuit Buzz or Crackle Electrical Repairs Electrical Wiring crackling sound, electric outlet, electrical crackle noise, electrical problem, electrical question and answer, surge protector
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.