Does Electricity Travel Through the Air?
Electricity Leaking into the Air. Electricity will not leak from one wire or conductor to another without the help of something that will provide a low resistance, which will enable the connection.
Problem of a Cut Electrical Wire
Electrical Question: I accidentally cut my neighbor’s wire to the light in his garden shed. It is in Europe where the voltage is 240 volt AC. He is claiming that the electricity leaked out from one cleanly cut wire end to the other through the air (ie: from the live wire end to the neutral wire end) and cost him 2000 Euros extra on his electric bill over a period of two months. Is this likely?….is it even possible?
This electrical wiring question came from Bill, in Italy, Other.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Bill.
Electricity Leaking into the Air
This is an interesting question, and I understand the technicalities, so let me attempt to shed some light.
- First of all let me cover a safety point here, if an electrical wire ever gets cut it should not be left out in the open, but rather the wire should be repaired and placed into a protective junction box.
As for the question as to electricity leaking through the air from one conductor to another:
- Electricity will not leak from one wire or conductor to another without the help of something that will provide a low resistance, which will enable the connection.
- One low resistance media could be water, which would provide a path to earth ground or to another conductor. Even where open high voltage transmission lines are installed fairly close to each other and other objects there is very little leakage of electricity or current.
- The frequency of the cycles of which the electricity has been generated may be identified by using special equipment that is capable of tuning into the frequency, but the possibility of the electricity escaping into the air and creating a substantial electrical leak is unlikely.
- To be more practical with this scenario with the neighbors claim, you could basically use a current tester to simulate the occurrence and measure the wires of the circuit to see if there is indeed a leak of electricity, and then proceed from there.
Further Research about Electricity and Frequencies
I have a great admiration for Nikola Tesla and others who produced great inventions that make it possible for us to enjoy the great benefits of electricity. Nikola Tesla had conducted many experiments with transmitting and receiving frequencies through the earth and harnessing electricity from the atmosphere, or the either as it was then referred to.
More about Home Energy
Home Energy Savings
Methods that show how to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Dryer Cord and Electric Circuit Wiring||Electrical Wiring for a Garage Workshop|