» Need Electrical Help? Get a Quick Reply! Ask the Electrician
Disconnect Faulty Electrical Devices to Avoid Hazards
what happen when you leave appliances on that don’t work while running on power…By: Dave Rongey
Electrical Question from Ken about Electrical Device Problems
Background: Ken, a Student from Dallas, Texas
[ad#block]Question: I have a vent hood over my stove but the fan doesn’t work, if I leave it on and it doesn’t work what can happen? Also I hear a hissing noise coming from my light switch like a low voltage tazer, what could this be. Furthermore, the lights in my kitchen dims and brightens and sometimes only portions of the lights come on, what could this be? But most importantly I will like to know what happen when you leave appliances that don’t work running on power?
Thanks for your electrical question Ken.
Disconnect any electrical device that does not work to avoid overheating and a possible fire hazard.
The hissing that you hear from the light switch may be caused by the contacts breaking down. I suggest that the switch be replaced.
The problem you are having with the kitchen lights is most likely due to a faulty connection or splice within the electrical circuit. This is discovered using troubleshooting techniques as described in the Electrical Troubleshooting ares of the website.
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
The following may also be helpful for you:
Learn more about Home Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical, Faulty Devices and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Older Home Ceiling Fan Replaces Existing Light Fixture||End Ring Break Of An Induction Motor|