Digital Timer Switch Electrical Wiring Instructions
How to Wire a Timer Switch for Lighting: As described, the wiring will require four wires for the connections to the time switch.
Requirements for Most Digital Timer Switches
Electrical Question: I just bought a Pass & Seymour RT1W Digital Timer switch to replace my simple single-pole switch.
- My problem is that the installation instructions diagram doesn’t match my simple 1975 Constructed home, switch-box configuration which is one wire set – white, black, unshielded ground connected to nothing in the box.
- My new switch comes with FOUR wires:
- White (labeled Neutral)
- Black (labeled HOT, power from circuit box)
- Red (labeled LOAD, power to lamp or fan)
- Green (labeled GROUND)
The ground is easy, but do I connect the other THREE(White, Black, and Red) RT1 switch wires to the TWO (Black & White) I have left in my old switch box?
Background: Ron, a Homeowner from Newberg, OR.
Additional Comments: I’m anxious to see how this site works out. If it is what it seems to be … this is really awesome !
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ron.
How to Wire a Timer Switch for Lighting
- Ron, the digital time switch that you have requires a separate neutral wire.
- Your wiring configuration will not work with this timer unless there is a neutral wire in the switch box.
- As described above, the wiring will require four wires for the connections to the time switch.
I have provided the following that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your Digital Timer Switch Project
- Light Switch Wiring
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- This link is helpful as a Homeowner
- Make sure not to miss these Resources for: Wiring Diagrams
Browse other questions about this topic:
24 Hour Time Switch Lighting Lighting, single switch, time switch, wiring diagram
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.