» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Ceiling Fan Wiring and Connections
Where do the red and black wires connect on a ceiling fan? The Wires of a Ceiling Fan and How to Connect Them, Wiring at the Ceiling Electrical Box, Wiring of the Ceiling Fan.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan with a Light
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Where do the red and black wires connect on a ceiling fan?
I am installing a ceiling fan that has a light fixture. Where does the red wire connect to if there are no red wires coming from the fan assembly.
- The Ceiling Electrical Box Wiring has a red, white, black and ground wire coming out of the ceiling.
- The Ceiling Fan has a green (ground), black/white, black and white wire is coming from the fan assembly.
- Does the black/white wire go with the black wires, or does it connect to the red wire?
- There will not be a dimmer switch, just a standard wall switch.
This electrical question came from: Bobby, a Homeowner from Leesburg, Georgia.
Thanks for your electrical question Bobby.
How to Connect the Wires for a Ceiling Fan and Light
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Most Common Wiring for a Ceiling Fan and How to Connect Them
To directly answer this question: The red wire at the ceiling is typically for a separate switch to control a ceiling fan light, so if your ceiling fan does not have a light attached then just cap off the red wire and connect the other wires as color to color as you have indicated, for the black, white and ground wires.
Keep reading for detailed information:
The Typical Wiring Connections at the Electrical Box of a Ceiling Fan
- Electrical Box Black Wire
- The black wire is the power source of the circuit which either has power all the time or it is controlled by a wall switch.
- Electrical Box Red Wire
- The red wire is typically the wire from a wall switch.
- Electrical Box White Wire
- The white wire is the neutral wire of the circuit.
- Electrical Box Bare Copper Wire or Green Wire
- The bare copper or green insulated wire is the ground wire.
The Typical Wires Found on a Ceiling Fan
- Ceiling Fan Black Wire
- The black wire is for the ceiling fan motor which connects to the black wire of the circuit power source.
- Ceiling Fan Blue Wire
- The blue wire is for the light fixture of the ceiling fan which connects to the red wire from a second wall switch.
- Note: In some cases a black wire with a white stripe is used for the light fixture of the ceiling fan.
- If a second wall switch is not being used then the blue wire also connects to the black wire of the circuit power source.
- Ceiling Fan White Wire
- The white wire is the neutral wire of the ceiling fan which connects to the white wire of the circuit.
- Ceiling Fan Green Wire
- The green insulated wire connects to the ground wire of the circuit.
- In many cases there is more than one green wire on a ceiling fan which also connects with the other ground wires.
NOTE: Wiring colors and connections may vary with some ceiling fans, or with other home wiring methods and locations.
More about Installing and Wiring a Ceiling Fan with a Light
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
- Electrical Wire for Ceiling Fans
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Wiring Diagrams and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Using Copper and Aluminum Wire for Home Circuits||How to Install Ceiling Fans and Remote Control Wiring|