» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Can I install a larger size bulb in the light socket?
Can I use a different replacement light bulb in my light fixture? What will happen if put a larger bulb?
Replacing a Light Bulb
[ad#block]Question: Can I use a different replacement light bulb in my light fixture?
Frances, a Homeowner in California asks:
- I replaced the ceiling light in the bathroom. It says to only use 60 watt bulbs or less. What will happen if put a larger bulb like a 75watt bulb? The lighting is dim with two 60 watt bulbs.
Thanks for your electrical question.
- Frances, Most Light sockets and lighting fixtures are designed, tested, and listed by the UL, Underwriters Laboratory, to be safe when installing the device under specific instructions and warning labels. To install using any other method outside of these specifications will void the intended safety of the device.
- Installing a larger or higher watt light bulb is no different because of the increased heat that will be radiated will in turn pose a fire hazard to the fixture, the fixture wiring and any combustible exposed wall surfaces. If the light fixture does not produce enough light then you need then remove it and exchange it for one which will.
Diane in California asks:
A19 or A15 Light Bulb
Can I put a A19 size 60w bulb in ceiling fan light that usually takes an A15 60w bulb?
Socket Sizes and Socket Adapters for Light Fixtures
- Diane, From what you have described, the A19 Bulb has a larger socket base than the A15 Bulb, so the larger A19 would not be an option (sorry!). Now if it was the other way around there are socket adapters from A19 to A15 and that would be OK.
- If it helps, there are a lot of A15 bulbs to choose from, so you still have some options.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Be sure not to miss these Resources for: Electrical Safety
Home Electrical Safety
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits or light fixtures. Be sure to turn Off the wall switch first!
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Light Bulbs, Light Socket and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What are the Electrical Codes for Wire Colors?||What happens if my treadmill outlet is not grounded?|