Attic Wiring, Junction Boxes and Electrical Safety
How to Store Unused Electrical Wires: Is it safe to leave live wires capped in switch box covered by flat plate?
Electrical Safety and Unused Attic Wiring
Electrical Question: Is it safe to leave live wires capped in switch box covered by flat plate?
- Having disconnected a 3-wire wall switch to an attic-mounted whole house fan, is it safe to leave live wires capped in the switch box covered by flat plate?
- The wires don’t touch each other or the box; they are capped.
- Is it safe to leave the fan hard-wired to the attic junction box?
This electrical question came from: John, a Homeowner from Naperville, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical question John.
How to Store Unused Electrical Wires
Application: Storing Electrical Wiring in a Junction Box.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Certified Electrician or Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Important: Burnt or damaged wiring and circuit components should be replaced with new electrical materials of the same voltage and amperage rating.
Notice: Repairs or changes to Home Electrical Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes and installing new or replacement electrical parts or equipment may require to have a permit and be inspected.
What to do with Unused Electrical Wiring
- Placing a fold of electrical tape over the end of a unused wire is fine in a temporary situation, but not as a long term solution.
- It is best to screw a insulated wire connector over the end of the wires and cover the box with a blank plate as you have mentioned.
- I don’t know if there is a problem with the whole house fan, but as long as the power source will not be connected to it then you can leave the wiring in the attic junction box, cap off the wires, and place a blank cover the junction box as mentioned.
More about Unused Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Code for How Many Wires in Junction Boxes
- Electrical wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Junction boxes
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Attic Wiring, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|The Key to Wiring Three Way Switches||Dimmer Switches and Fluorescent Light Fixtures|