Installing LED Under Cabinet Puck Lights
How should I install an outlet for under cabinet LED lights? Installing an Outlet for Under Cabinet LED Lights.
Under Cabinet LED Light
Electrical Question: How should I install an outlet for under cabinet LED lights?
- I am using LED under cabinet puck style lights, approximately 6 lights.
- The lights will be fed by transformer.
- Can I mount an outlet inside the cabinet and plug the transformer into that outlet?
Can the outlet be an old style where I cut a hole in the cabinet and mount the box inside the wall with an outlet?
- The outlet will be controlled by a switch mounted below. Or do I need to mount a handy box inside the cabinet with the outlet?
- Is there a specific distance the outlet needs to be? Any help would be appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from Rick , in Attleboro, Massachusetts.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rick.
Install a Under Cabinet LED Light Fixture Outlet
Application: Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting Fixtures.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools, drill motor and drill bits, and Voltage Tester.
Materials: Type NM Cable, BX or Greenfield Flex, or the same type and gauge cable as the existing light circuit cable, staples for securing the cable.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, access to the circuit wiring and project area, and experience working with the circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel circuit of the power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or wiring under cabinet lighting and installing electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing an Outlet for Under Cabinet LED Lights
- Installing an Outlet Inside a Kitchen Cabinet
- An outlet may be located inside a kitchen cabinet to provide power for LED lights.
- If the outlet will be flush mounted then a cut-in box can be installed.
- If the outlet will be surface mounted then a metal handy box can be installed.
More about Wiring Under Cabinet LED Lights
- Electrical Codes for Home Wiring
- Electrician provides a list of the Basic Home Electrical Wiring Codes for installing outlets used for LED lights.
More about Electrical Codes For Home Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
How to Wire a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Junction Boxes for Electrical Repairs and Home Remodel Projects
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
- Under Cabinet Kitchen Lights
- Under cabinet lighting will blend well with other lighting and provide a soft level of light to enhance your kitchen counter tops and will balance the kitchen lighting and help to lighten up dark corners.
More about Under Cabinet Kitchen Lights
- How to Install Under Cabinet Lights
- Step-by-Step Pictures Installation Guide Prewiring for under cabinet lights, Selecting the right under cabinet lights, Mounting Hardware for the under cabinet lights, Locating the under cabinet lights, Finished under cabinet light project.
More about How to Install Under Cabinet Lights
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring LED Puck Lights install kitchen led light, install led lights, install puck lights, install under cabinet light, LED lights, outlet for led lights, power for puck lights
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.