» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring the Ground for a Generator and Transfer Switch
How to Connect Grounding for Generators: The portable generator does not require a separate ground rod, however any electrical wiring enclosure including the generator transfer switch is required to be grounded to the ground system of the main panel of the home electrical system.
Grounding a Generator and Transfer Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I want to hook up a Generac GP6500 portable generator to my house, with a Reliance Q310A transfer switch, for use when the power goes out.
- I’ve made all the proper connections in the main panel as described in the transfer switch instructions.
- Do I need to run a separate ground wire to a grounding rod from the generator, or is the ground connection from the generator through the transfer switch which in turn goes through the main panel and out to the existing grounding rod sufficient?
This generator question came from: Dave, a Handyman from Malvern, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dave.
How to Connect Grounding for Generators
- The portable generator does not require a separate ground rod, however any electrical wiring enclosure including the generator transfer switch is required to be grounded to the ground system of the main panel of the home electrical system.
- Make sure you are in compliance with your local building department’s requirements for home generators, and that the installation of the generator transfer switch and electrical wiring has been inspected.
More about Home Generators:
- Home Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Wiring Generators and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Home Electrical Wiring Repairs – Should You Fix It?||How to Connect the Wires of a Ceiling Fan|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.