» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring an Electric Stove
What size wire should be used for an electric stove? How to Wire a Stove and Outlet, Selecting the Wire Size for an Electric Stove.
Circuit Wiring for an Electric Stove
[ad#block]Electrical Question: What size wire should be used for an electric stove?
I am doing some electrical work in a kitchen and I need help with the circuits.
- What size wire is safe for an electric stove and which outlet can be used?
- Can a garbage disposal, dishwasher and refrigerator have same power source?
This electrical question came from: Flora in Lawton, Oklahoma.
Thank you for your electrical question.
How to Wire a Stove
Application: Wiring a Kitchen 240 Volt Circuit for a Stove.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Installing additional circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Selecting the Wire Size for an Electric Stove
- The wire size for an electric stove circuit will depend on the exact stove that will be installed and if the circuit wire selected will be copper or aluminum.
- The wire tables may be used to determine the electrical wire for the stove that will be installed.
- The garbage disposal and the dishwasher may share a dedicated 20 amp 120 volt circuit.
- The standard refrigerator must have a dedicated 15 amp 120 volt circuit.
More about Wiring an Electric Stove
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
- Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
More about Wiring a Dishwasher and Disposal
Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring
Fully explained dishwasher disposal wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Troubleshoot and Repair an Electric Stove Power Problem||NEC Electrical Code for Re-Identifying Ungrounded Conductor|