Wiring a Up Down Switch for a Electric Projector Screen
How to Wire Motorized Big Screen Projector Switch© By: Dave Rongey
How to Wire Motorized Big Screen Projector Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I got a big screen that can roll up or down. I bought the relevant switch, up, down and stop buttons, but don’t know how to wire it.
- There are 3 wires connected to the motor of the screen – a neutral, one for up and one for down.
- The switch has three sets of two points to be wired, numbered as 3 and 4 at the underside of the up switch, 3 and 4 at the underside of the down switch, and 1 and 2 at the underside of the stop button.
- The 3 wires from the plug, and the 3 wires from the motor are obviously the total of 6 wires to be connected to the 6 positions, but which one where?
This electrical question came from: Dawie, a Homeowner from Cape Town, Africa.
See more about Home Wiring for Africa
Thanks for your electrical question Dawie.
How To Wire Motorized Projection Screens
Dawie, first of all, we must understand that there are more than one type of Big Screens or Motorized Projection Screens, and because you did not identify which one you have we will have to cover the different types of Motorized Projection Screens, because it does make a difference with the wiring.
First, let’s cover the Motorized Screen Wiring Techniques and the basic parts that are involved:
The Video Projection Unit
Motorized Roll-Down Screen
Control Options for the Motorized Roll-Down Screen
- Wall mounted Manual Up Down Switch
- Wall mounted Automatic Up Down Switch
Types of Control Interface Switches
- IR or Infrared which is one type of hand held remote control which requires unrestricted line of sight.
- RF or Radio Frequency is another type of hand held remote control with less restrictions.
- Wall Mounted Key Pad is a wired control switch that is connected to the control interface.
All of these types of switches must be compatible with the motorized roll up screen unit that you have, however typical projectors and motorized big screen units have a Control Interface which is the connection point that makes all the functions work.
Connections for a Basic Electric Projection Screen without a control interface – typical wiring at the screen motor are as follows:
- Black is Down.
- Red is Up. (if the direction is backwards just reverse the red and black connections)
- White is Common.
- Green is Ground.
Please Note: Always Identify Your Specific equipment and parts and read your Owners Manual and Installation Manual. The voltage of your specific equipment and the voltage at your specific location may be different. Keep in mind that I am located in the USA, and this question came from Cape Town Africa. All countries do not have the same voltage and electrical systems. See World Electrical Systems
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Home Automation
Learn Home Automation
Home automation is about delivering practical control of your lighting, home and personal lifestyle which provides comfort and control and energy savings.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Big Screen TV and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|