Wiring a Light Switch for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light
How to Wire an Exhaust Fan and Switches: Wiring an Exhaust Fan with a Light Fixture Using a Combo Switch.
Wiring a Separate Light Switch for a Bathroom Combo Light and Exhaust Fan
Electrical Question: How can I wire an exhaust fan with a light fixture so the fan is switched on with one switch and the light is controlled by a separate switch?
This Electrical Wiring question came from: Dakota, a Contractor from Little Rock, Arkansas.
Additional Comments: Thank you.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dakota.
How to Wire an Exhaust Fan and Switches
Application: Wiring Stack Switches or Triple Switches for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical project is best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wiring for the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The combo bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
Wiring an Exhaust Fan with a Light Fixture Using a Combo Switch
- As long as the bathroom exhaust fan and light have separate wire leads or connections in the exhaust fan junction box then a separate wire will be necessary for the separate control for the light fixture.
- For example: when the power source is present at the wall switch box, the a 3-wire cable would be installed from the light switch box up to the bathroom exhaust fan unit.
- The light and fan would share the neutral, however there would be a separate wire for the fan, and a separate wire for the light.
- So back at the wall switch box, two switches will be required, or one stack-switch could be installed if there is only one space available.
More about Wiring a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Bath Exhaust Fan
Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan
and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Guide to Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Switch for Light Only and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring Connections When Replacing an Oven||How to Ground a Home Generator|