Wiring a GFCI Outlet with a Switch
How to Wire a GFCI Outlet with a Switch – There are a few different methods that are used to wire GFI Outlets but all start with locating the Line side of the GFCI Receptacle where the power source is attached as described.
Identifying the Wiring for a New GFCI Outlet
Electrical Question: I am replacing an ungrounded 2nd generation duplex outlet with a GFCI outlet.
- The existing outlet is controlled by a switch.
- There are three wires present, one red wire attached to the left side upper terminal and two white wires attached to the right side terminals.
- Would I attached the red to the brass line terminal of the GFCI and the whites to the silver line terminal of the GFCI
This electrical wiring question came from: Rick, a Homeowner from New Jersey
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rick.
How to Wire a GFCI Outlet with a Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the source power circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
There are a few different methods that are used to wire GFI Outlets but all start with locating the Line side of the GFCI Receptacle where the power source is attached as described.
- The wiring assignments for the new GFCI outlet are as follows:
- The brass screw is for the hot wire, and the silver screw is for the neutral wire.
- The wiring that you have described for the existing outlet should be verified because you have stated that the outlet is controlled by a switch.
- Once the wiring has been identified then the wiring should be connected to the Line side of the GFCI outlet.
- The GFCI outlet must be labeled stating that the outlet does not have a ground source.
The Following will assist you with wiring GFCI Outlets:
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
wiring a switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about GFCI Wiring
- GFCI Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about GFCI Outlets, GFI-GFCI and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing MC Cable for Home Wiring||Solar Power Design with ATS for Utility|