Wiring a Bath Exhaust Fan Speed Control
How To Slow Down or Control a Bath Exhaust Fan: Bathroom Exhaust Fan Speed Control Options. Options when an exhaust fan is too fast and a slower speed is needed, or a variable speed will work better.
Bathroom Exhaust Fan or Extractor Fan
[ad#block] Electrical Question: My exhaust fan moves too much air can I use to make it a 2-speed fan?
- When I renovated our bathroom and I put in a new exhaust fan.
- The only problem is that we need it on when showering and it moves too much air.
- Is there a switch that I can use to make it a 2-speed fan?
- I would like to have it on 1/2 speed while showering and still be able to get the full power when needed. Would a dimmer switch work for this?
This electrical repair question came from: Ken, a Handyman from Calgary, Canada.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ken.
How to Slow Down a Bath Exhaust Fan
Application: Installing a Bathroom Exhaust Fan Speed Control Switch
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
Control Options for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Options when an exhaust fan is too fast and a slower speed is needed, or a variable speed will work better.
- A two speed switch would only work with a two speed motor, however a variable speed motor control might work if the speed control is compatible with the exhaust fan motor.
- A lighting dimmer switch will not work as a speed control for a motor because it has a different control circuit design.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Bath Exhaust Fan
wiring a switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
How to Install Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Exhaust Fan and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Ceiling Fan Wiring for a Wall Remote Control||Adding Recessed Light Fixtures|