Wire a New Dishwasher
Wiring Connections for a New Dishwasher: How do I connect the electric wires for my new dishwasher?© By: Dave Rongey
Dishwasher Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question: How do I connect the electric wires for my new dishwasher?
- I am installing a new replacement dishwasher at home. The instructions for electrical hook up state to connect black wire to black wire, white wire to white wire, and green grounding wire to green grounding wire. BUT the old dishwasher had a black wire, a white wire and a copper grounding wire.
- The copper grounding wire was connected to a grounding screw in the dishwasher junction box (ie. NO green grounding wire). So with the new dishwasher should I connect the copper grounding wire coming from the wall to the green grounding wire in the junction box or to the grounding screw which is attached to green wire on the dishwasher?
- It’s kind of hard to see on the picture of the dishwasher junction box – but the screw which I think is the grounding screw is visible on top left which has the dishwasher’s green grounding wire connected to it.
This electrical wiring question came from Mike, in Concord, Massachusetts.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Mike, here’s your electrical answer, enjoy your new dishwasher!
Wiring Connections for a New Dishwasher
Application: Electric Wiring for a Dishwasher.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Certified Electrician or Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Important: Burnt or damaged wiring and circuit components should be replaced with new electrical materials of the same voltage and amperage rating.
Notice: Installing or Replacing a Dishwasher should be done according to local and national electrical codes and installing new or replacement electrical parts or equipment may require to have a permit and be inspected.
Making the Electric Wire Connections for a Dishwasher
Dishwasher Junction Box Wiring and Circuit Cable or Cord
The circuit cable or electric cord must be brought into the dishwasher junction box through the provided half inch opening which is first fitted with a connector which will protect and secure the wiring. All wiring connections must be made within the junction box of the dishwasher and then the junction box cover plate must be installed. Wiring connections are best made using twist on insulated wire connectors. ELECTRICAL TIP: Typically the Orange or Yellow size wire connectors work best.
Electrical Wiring Hook Up for a 120 Volt Dishwasher
- The typical electric wiring connections for a dishwasher are as follows:
- Circuit Power: Black wire to the Dishwasher Black wire.
- Circuit Neutral: White wire to the Dishwasher White wire.
- Circuit Ground: Bare Copper or Green wire to the Dishwasher Green wire.
- Note: Some dishwashers may have a green wire with a yellow stripe. This is the ground wire which should be attached to the ground wire of the cord.
Example of Alternative Grounding Methods for a Dishwasher
- The bare copper or green ground wire of the electrical circuit will connect as follows:
- The Green Grounding Screw inside the dishwasher junction box.
- A green wire of the dishwasher inside the dishwasher junction box.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When correctly grounding the dishwasher, the circuit ground wire will be properly bonded to the metal frame which will then enable the dishwasher components to be properly grounded.
More about Wiring a Dishwasher
- Wiring a Dishwasher and Disposal
Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring
- Fully explained dishwasher disposal wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal.
- One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
- Electrical Grounding
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
- Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
Related Questions about Electric Cord Wires
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Dishwasher, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|