Will a Laundry Unit Work with the Outlet in Our Apartment?
We are going to purchase a laundry center. The circuit we will be using is 15amp, will this work in our apartment?
Outlet for a Laundry Center Unit
Electrical Question: Will a 15amp 120volt circuit work with a 20amp 120volt Laundry Center?
- We are going to purchase a 120volt laundry center and the specifications say it requires 20amps.
- It appears the circuit we will be using is 15amp. Will this appliance work on that 15 amp circuit?
This electrical wiring question came from Kevin, in Lakewood.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Kevin.
What Size Circuit for a Laundry Center
Application: Circuit for a Laundry Unit.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Circuit Breaker, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Circuit Breaker should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Lakewood. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Electrical Specifications for a Laundry Center
This electrical question is about a Circuit for a Laundry Center in an Apartment.
Outlet Circuit Size Specification
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- We are going to purchase a 120volt laundry center and the specs say it is 20 amps. It appears that the circuit we will be using is 15amp. Will this appliance work on a 15amp circuit?
- Kevin, From the information you have provided the existing 15amp circuit does not meet the 20amp requirement for this laundry center unit.
- The 15amp circuit breaker for the existing 15amp outlet will most likely trip off while the unit is fully operational.
20Amp 120Volt Single Outlet
More about a Circuit Breaker
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Laundry Electrical, Single Outlet 20Amp 120Volt and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Install Dusk to Dawn Fixture by the Front Door||Should I use a Remote Switch or a Standard Dimmer Switch?|