Why Your Bathroom Receptacles Are Not Working
How To Fix Bathroom Outlets and Receptacles: How a Non-Contact Voltage Tester Can Help Locate a Faulty Circuit.
No Power to Bathroom Receptacles
Electrical Question: I have 2 receptacles, 1 in a upstairs bath, 1 in a downstairs bath, and neither are GFCI.
- I want to upgrade and during the process I tripped the breaker and now I have no power to either bathroom.
- Everything in the house is normal but I can’t figure out which breaker has been tripped as none of them show a red indicator and all seem to be normal.
- I have a Non-Contact voltage tester digital mult-imeter.
- How can I utilize these tools to troubleshoot my problem?
This electrical wiring question came from: Rich, a Homeowner in Missouri.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rich.
How To Fix Bathroom Outlets and Receptacles
Application: Testing Bathroom Receptacles and GFCI Circuit Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools a Voltage Tester or Plug-In Circuit Analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the extent of the electrical repairs, the number of outlets that are affected.
Precaution: Identify the GFCI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How a Non-Contact Voltage Tester Can Help Locate a Faulty Circuit
- Problem GFCI Outlet
I suspect that there is possibly a GFI outlet that is protecting the existing bathroom receptacles and circuit, and this is a common occurrence when a bathroom outlet lost power.
- Locating a Bathroom GFI Outlet
Take a look around and see if you can locate a GFI receptacle, sometimes they may be installed behind a towel bar near the floor or near the toilet to provide power for a bidet.
- Testing a GFI Circuit
The non-contact tester can be held next to the circuit breaker where the wire in attached to see if there is voltage.
- The digital multimeter can be set to the ac volts setting and used to test for voltage, black lead to frame or ground, red lead to circuit breaker terminal.
More about Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical troubleshooting and repairs
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Using electrical testers
Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Electrical Tools Articles
Here are the actual electrical tools I use on most all of my electrical jobs and projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Bathroom GFI Receptacle and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Wiring for a Second Light Fixture||How to Install Outside Outlets|