Why Dusk to Dawn Fixtures Go On and Off
What would cause a dusk to dawn light fixture to turn on and off? How to Test Outside Motion Light Fixtures for the sensitivity of the motion detector.
Cause of On and Off Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture
[ad#block]Electrical Question #1: What would cause a dusk to dawn light fixture to turn on and off?
I have a dusk to dawn light fixture that turns on and off quite a lot. I replace an old outside light fixture with a new Area dusk to dawn fixture. I had observe that the new light fixture goes on and off. It come on about 5 min, then back on with 5 min., what could be the problem?
This electrical question came from: Bob, a Homeowner from Los Angeles, California.
Electrical Question #2:
- We have outdoor motion sensor light, I do not know where the off on switch is, and it is flicking on and off. I am afraid it may have frayed wiring and could cause a fire. How do we locate the correct switch?
This electrical question came from Tim in Cottageville, South Carolina.
Electrical Question #3:
I have a dusk to dawn motion light. It works just fine at night. Motion activates it and the light burns until the time expires. The problem is during the daytime. Once it becomes light outside the light comes on and burns until it detects dusk again. Once it becomes dark it works properly until the next morning.
This electrical wiring question came from Skip, a Handyman in Bedford, Indiana.
Thank you for your electrical questions.
How to Test Outside Motion Light Fixtures
Adjusting a Motion Detector Light Fixture
- Adjusting the Settings While in the TEST Mode
- When your done with test make sure that the Switch Setting is not set to TEST.
- The Test Switch setting enables the fixture to override the photocell and allows you to test the positioning and sensitivity settings of the motion detector.
- If the switch is left in the TEST position you will have the light activity that you are describing.
Lear More about Outside Motion Light Fixtures
- Installing Motion Detector and Security Light Fixtures
- Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
- For more information about Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Dusk to Dawn Fixtures, Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|LED Lights and Transformer||Electrical Junction Box Access|