» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Why CFL Light Bulbs Flicker
Remote Control Units May Cause CFL Bulb Flicker: CFL lamps must be compatible with the light fixture and controlling device or switch where the CFL light bulb will be installed – Double check your wiring connections just to make sure, however I have a light fixture that is controlled by a motion sensor and the lamps are CFL too, and the light flickers when it is supposed to be off as well.
Flickering Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb
[ad#block]Electrical Question: We have a ceiling fan that has a Harbor Breeze Remote Control and a CFL Lamp.
- The lamp is one of the new “twisty” CFL Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs in the light fixture.
- When the light is turned off via the remote control, the bulb continues to receive some power and flickers. Pulling the chain to the “off” position turns the flickering off.
- Could this be caused by a neutral and ground being swapped?
- I have not disassembled this fixture yet, because I am not really sure what I am looking for.
Any help would be appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from: Dirk, a Homeowner from Madera, California.
Additional Comments: Really cool if it works!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dirk.
Remote Control Units May Cause CFL Bulb Flicker
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work on a ladder and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light control and turn the fixture OFF and wait for the bulb to cool before exchanging light bulbs.
Notice: Changing or modifying the original fixture design may void the UL approval and affect the warranty of the light fixture. Changes in light bulb type must not produce more heat which could damage light fixture components or the area of the light fixture installation.
CFL lamps must be compatible with the light fixture and controlling device or switch where the CFL light bulb will be installed
- Double check your wiring connections just to make sure, however I have a light fixture that is controlled by a motion sensor and the lamps are CFL too, and the light flickers when it is supposed to be off as well.
- I believe it is because the lamps are CFL and the control module is getting the neutral through the electronic circuitry of the CFL lamps.
- This method works fine if the bulb were a standard incandescent light bulb, but not as well with the CFL lamps.
Why CFL Bulbs Burn Out Early
This electrical wiring question came from: Nicole, from Sacramento, California.
- I have noticed that the CFL Bulbs I buy, burn out in a week or less.
- Could it be due to my wiring, or are those bulbs just junk?
I can’t speak for your wiring methods, however there are several qualities of CFL Bulbs available, which will affect the life of the bulb as well. Be sure to select a dependable brand for best performance.
More about CFL Bulbs and Electrical Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
For more information about Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Remote Control and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring for Lutron and 3-Way Dimmer Switches||Converting a Fluorescent Light to Energy Efficient|