Fix Bedroom Outlets that Do Not Work
Why do the plugs in the bedroom area not work? Bedroom Electrical Outlet Problems and How to Fix Them, Repairing Outlets and Electrical Connections.
Bedroom Outlet Problem
Electrical Question: Why do the plugs in the bedroom area not work?
- There are five plugs in the room and none work.
- The ceiling light works.
- My husband has worked down at the panel turning things on and off to see if he can find the problem.
- He used the little two pronged tester and none of the plugs had electricity to them.
- They have worked for over 30 years.
- The Grandchildren play Nintendo in there and the plugs quit after their last visit.
This electrical wiring question came from: Connie, a Homeowner from Kennewick, Washington.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Connie.
How to Troubleshoot and Repairing Outlet Problems
Application: Troubleshooting and Repairing Outlet Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter or plug-in circuit analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the age of the home and the condition of the electrical wiring and access to the circuit wiring to be inspected, evaluated and repaired.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring inspections or electrical repairs.
If an outlet or the electrical wiring is found to be damaged then repairs and replacement parts should be obtained with the same voltage and amperage rating.
Notice: Burnt or damaged electrical wiring and circuit components should be replaced with new electrical materials of the same voltage and amperage rating.
Bedroom Electrical Outlet Problems and How to Fix Them
- Bad Electrical Connection
- There is a very good possibility that there is a bad connection either at one of the outlets or in the electrical panel.
- Space Heaters, Air Conditioners, Vacuum Cleaners, and Outlet Problems
- If you use space a heater, small air conditioner, or a large vacuum cleaner in this area of the house then the problem is most likely with the outlet that is used for the electric heater, but there may also be a problem at another outlet as well.
- Repairing Outlets and Electrical Connections
- Identify and turn off the circuit power to the room.
- Remove one outlet at a time and inspect the electrical wiring connections and the condition of the outlet.
- Replace a faulty or burnt outlet with a new one of the same voltage and amperage rating.
- Burnt wiring should be replaced or repaired to enable good wire insulation and clean copper wire.
- Replace all the burnt wire connections with UL Approved wire connectors.
More about Electrical Troubleshooting Bedroom Outlets
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Outlets, Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Use Electrical Junction Boxes||How to Make Bath Exhaust Fan Wire Connections|