Why Basement Outlets Trip Circuit Breakers
Are You Developing a Basement to be Occupied – Then You May Want To Consider These Additional Outlet Circuits to prevent overloading an existing circuit.
Basement Rentals May Require Additional Outlet Circuits
[ad#block]Wiring Question: I am renting a basement suite, and we keep tripping the breaker.
- Both bedrooms, as well as the living room (and possibly more) are all on one breaker.
- We need oil heaters to keep the heat up, but if we are in more then one room (ex: my son sleeping in his room, and me in the living room) and have 2 oil heaters on, the breaker trips.
- Seeing as I don’t think the landlord will pay for an electrician, I was wondering if this is an expensive fix.
- I was hoping to have each room on a different breaker so this doesn’t happen.
- I am willing to hire the electrician myself, but depends how long it could potentially take.
This electrical wiring question came from: Alysha, a Homeowner from Surrey, BC, Canada.
See more about Home Wiring for Canada
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Alysha.
A Basement used as a Living Space May Require Additional Electrical Wiring for Specific Circuits
Are You Developing a Basement to be Occupied?
Then You May Want To Consider These Additional Outlet Circuits to prevent overloading an existing circuit.
- The reason why the circuit breaker is tripping is because the circuit is being overloaded.
- Some oil heaters require 1500 watts each so this is why the circuit is tripping.
- There is nothing wrong with the existing circuit.
- The problem is that the basement was most likely not wired to serve as a living suite.
- Any area that will serve as a living space, especially as a rental, should be wired according to the Local Building Department Codes, and The landlord is most likely responsible to provide this for the renters.
- The basement should also include safety features such as Smoke Detectors, and GFCI protected outlets in kitchen area and bathrooms and AFCI protection for bedroom area receptacles.
- You may contact your local building department or local agency that represents renters rights and describe the situation.
- As a renter you should have a proper living space for you and your son.In order to correct this problem additional electrical circuits will need to be installed.
- The expense to install additional electrical wiring will depend on the access to install the required wiring and components and the location of the electrical circuit breaker panel.
How to Install Bedroom Electrical Wiring
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
How to Install Basement Electrical Wiring
Basement Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Basement Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Repairing Light Fixture Electrical Wiring||Laundry Room and Dryer Electrical Wiring|