» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Where to Install a Ground Rod
Can I install a cooper grounding rod inside a basement instead of outside of the house by the electrical panel? How to Install a Ground Rod for an Electrical Service.
Ground Rod for Electrical Service
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Can I install a cooper grounding rod inside a basement instead of outside of the house?
- I could drill a hole in the cement floor and pound it in.
- I am worried it will be stolen if put outside.
- The cooper has already been striped once.
This electrical wiring question came from: Mike, a Homeowner from Cleveland, Ohio.
See more about Home Wiring for Ohio
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Mike.
How to Install a Ground Rod for an Electrical Service
Application: Grounding an Electric Service Panel.
Skill Level: Advanced – Licensed Electrical Contractor, Not Recommended for Homeowners.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the grounding method to be used and available access to the project area.
Precaution: If the only ground source for the electrical system will be removed or modified then the electrical service should be shut off until the new ground source can be reconnected. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Making changes to the Electrical Service Panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Locating the Ground Rod for an Electrical Service
- The ground rod should be installed close to the main electrical panel and it can be driven so that it is not visible as long as you use a ground wire clamp that is approved for burial.
- Most ground rods are copper clad, not solid copper, it just depends which one you purchase.
Learn more about Installing a Ground Rod
- Electrical Code Articles about electrical grounding systems.
Learn more about Electrical Grounding Systems
- Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements.
- Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Ground Rod and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Understanding Telephone Intercom Systems||How to Wire for One or More Lights From One Switch|