What is the Electric Code for Installing a 220volt Receptacle
How high should a 220volt receptacle box be above the floor? Examples where 220volt receptacles are installed in specific applications and the NEC Code.
220volt Receptacle Code
Electrical Question: How high should a 220volt receptacle box be above the floor?
- What is the minimum height above the floor for a 220/240 volt receptacle box, according to the NEC ?
This electrical wiring question came from Bernie, in Jacksonville, Florida.
See more about Home Wiring for Florida
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Bernie.
NEC Code for 220volt Receptacles
Electrical Code for the Height of a 220volt Receptacle
Electrical codes apply to each specific project and application. Therefore a general conclusion or statement about how high a 220volt receptacle is required to be is not possible without knowing more about the specific project and application. With this in mind, the following information will review a few examples where 220volt receptacles are installed in specific applications.
Example #1: 220volt Electric Range
Location: Kitchen, Dining Room, Eating Area.
Equipment: 220volt Electric Range.
Device and Application: Height of the 220volt Range Receptacle.
Applicable Electrical Code: NEC Code 210.52(c)(5).
- NEC Code 210.52(c)(5) – Range Appliance
- Application: Receptacles are to be mounted no more than 20 inches above the kitchen counter top.
- Installation Note: Typically the 220volt range receptacle is mounted near the floor, just above the baseboard. This will allow the range cord and receptacle to be be located within the recessed area provided by design by most electric range manufacturers. This also allows the range to be located closely against the wall and without obstruction.
Example #2: 220volt Electric Clothes Dryer
Equipment: 220volt Electric Dryer.
Device and Application: Height of the 220volt Dryer Receptacle.
Applicable Electrical Code: None.
- There is no specific NEC Code for the height of a 220volt Dryer Receptacle in a Garage.
- 220volt Dryer Receptacle Installation Notes:
- Typically in a custom home project the 220volt dryer receptacle is installed behind the dryer under the top of the control panel where the cord and receptacle will not be visible.
- For most track houses or spec homes the 220volt dryer receptacle may be installed above the dryer control panel where the cord will be accessible.
More about Installing 220volt Receptacles
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
Home electrical wiring includes 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are commonly found in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering electrical boxes, electrical circuits, electrical outlets, and more.
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Code NEC, Electrical Wiring, NEC Code 210.52 - Receptacles and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Can a 125Amp Circuit Breaker be used for 250Amps?||Replacing an HVAC Ignition Control|