Unplugged a Lamp and the Electricity Goes Out – Lets Check This Out
Indications that Outlet and Home Electrical Wiring Should be Checked: I suspect a problem with the outlet or the wiring of the outlet circuit. The outlet circuit should be identified and turned OFF. The outlet should be removed and visually checked for damage or deterioration.
When Electrical Wiring Should be Checked
[ad#block]Electrical Question: My name is Melissa. My mom and I decided to paint the dining room of her 2 story house.
- The house is about 26 years old.
- There are 4 outlets in the room, 1 on each wall and 1 dimmer switch for the over head light.
- When we unplugged a lamp from the outlet, the over head light went out, all of the plugs went dead, and the over head lighting went out in the upstairs hallway.
- I checked and the breaker was not blown.
- I plugged the lamp back in and everything worked again.
This electrical question came from: Melissa, a Homeowner from Lexington, KY
Thanks for your electrical question Melissa.
Indications that Outlet and Home Electrical Wiring Should be Checked
- I suspect a electrical problem with the outlet or the wiring of the outlet circuit.
- The outlet circuit should be identified and turned OFF.
- The outlet should be removed and visually checked for damage or deterioration.
- My first recommendation is to replace the outlet and see if this solves the problem.
- If the problem persists then a series of voltage tests will be required to find the fault within the circuit and the necessary repairs will be required.
Enjoy your newly painted room!
More about Home Electrical Wiring:
Electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
wiring a dimmer switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Installing Home Lighting
Home Lighting Articles
Home Lighting Articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Adding Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Do-It-Yourself Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Lost Power and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|GE Breaker Type Prevents Dryer From Working – Part 2||Cause of Electrical Shock From A Guitar Amp|