Understanding Light Switch Wiring
How to Wire a Light Switch: I am trying to start the wiring for a switch to an overhead light.© By: Dave Rongey
Wiring a Light Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am trying to start the wiring for a switch to an overhead light.
- I am trying to start with a hot feed from an existing 15amp breaker that is at this time running to a basic on/off switch for an overhead light.
- I would like to have this feed continue from this switch to a new over head light and to a new switch that will run on to a new outlet that this new switch will control. This is probably simple to you, I don’t have much experienced about this any help would be awesome.
This electrical wiring question came from: Ron, a Homeowner from Panama City , Florida.
Additional Comments: Awesome!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ron.
How to Wire a Light Switch
Application: Wiring Lighting Circuit and Light Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a Voltage Tester and a fiberglass ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and work with the light circuit electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Basic Light Switch Wiring
- Basic switch wiring can be thought of as a loop of wire to the light switch within the path of the wire to the light fixture.
- There are several fully detailed wiring diagrams that you can check out using the links found of this page.
- The key to light switch wiring is identifying where the power begins for the light fixture.
- With conventional switching methods the neutral is not switched, only the hot or power wire.
More about wiring Light Switches
Light Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
For more information about Home Electrical Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Light Switch Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|