Understanding 4 Way Switch Wiring
How Do You Wire 4-Way Switches? Wiring for three switch controlled locations it is necessary to install two 3-way switches.
Wiring 4-Way Switches
Electrical Question: How Do You Wire 4-Way Switches?
I have a switch system for a ceiling light fixture controlled from 3 wall switches.
Here is the Problem:
I have a Double Pole; Double Throw; (DP/DT) switch that would not light the fixture at the same time I could light the fixture from 2nd switch. Then the 2nd switch also stopped working. I replaced the DP/DT switch (same terminals used) the fixture would not light from any of the 3 switches. With my volt meter checked the DP/DT switch and power in and out is now available. I replaced the other 2 switches ( same terminals used ) also replaced the lamp and no change- the fixture will not light; and also no voltage at other 2 switches or at fixture.
This electrical question came from: Al, a Homeowner from Mount Vernon, Washington
Additional Comments: Easy to submit an electrical problem!
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question Al.
Understanding 4-Way Switching
Application: Wiring a 4-Way Light Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Power Tools for installing electrical wiring, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand and power tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way or 4-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring for 4-Way Switch Control From Three Locations
4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- A 4-way switch is not the same as a DP/DT or Double Pole, Double Throw switch.
- Simply replace the DP/DT switch with a 4-way light switch and your problem will be solved, as long as the other wiring is correct.
- When wiring for three switch controlled locations it is necessary to install two 3-way switches and one 4-way switch which is best located between the two 3-way switches.
More about Wiring 4-Way and 3-Way Switches
- Lighting For The Home
- Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring Diagrams
- For more information about 4 Way Switch Wiring
- 4 Way Switch Wiring
- 4 Way Switch Wiring
- Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 4 Way Switch Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Improve Your Power Quality||Electrical Conduit Types for Underground Projects|