» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Troubleshooting Electrical Outlets
How to Repair an Outlet that Lost Power: Electrical Troubleshooting Methods for a Wall Outlet and Electrical Circuit Wiring.
Lost Power to an Outlet
[ad#block]Electrical Question: The power to an outlet went out.
- How do you troubleshoot the cause?
- I have already changed the circuit breaker, but that does not seem to help.
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Pattie, a Homeowner from Rio Linda, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Pattie.
How to Repair Outlets that Lost Power
Application: Testing Electrical Circuit Wiring for Outlets.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the affected outlet circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections.
Note: Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a qualified licensed electrical contractor. Homeowners should not work in live electrical panels due to shock hazards and dangerous arc flash hazards.
Electrical Troubleshooting for a Wall Outlet and Electrical Circuit Wiring
- Identify the circuit breaker for the outlet that lost power and turn it off.
- Remove the outlet and inspect the electrical wiring.
- Look for burnt connections to the outlet or a burnt wire splice.
- Burnt or damaged wiring and splices must be replaced or repaired using new wire and materials of the same type and size.
- If the outlet is damaged then a replacement outlet of the same voltage and amperage will need to be installed.
- After the repairs are completed install the outlet and cover.
- Turn the circuit on and test the outlet for normal power.
More about Electrical Troubleshooting
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Help for Homeowners
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Outlet Circuit and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring Diagrams for Installing Ceiling Fans||How to Repair a Ceiling Fan|