» Need Electrical Help? Get a Quick Reply! Ask the Electrician
Timers and Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – I’m trying to replace a single pole light switch with a timer light switch in a box that also has another single pole switch going to another light: How to Wire a Timer Switch for Lighting.By: Dave Rongey
Home Automation and Light Switch Wiring
Electrical Question: I’m trying to replace a single pole light switch with a timer light switch in a box that also has another single pole switch going to another light.
- The timer keeps zeroing out to the flashing initial setup screen after about 5 or 6 toggles of the other light switch in the box!
- I have the hot split off to each light switch before it ever gets to that other switch, so really, there is nothing in the timer switch that ever interacts with that other switch and yet, after like 5 or 6 toggles of the other switch, the timer switch zeroes out and blows out all my programming. What gives?
- Note that the timer switch has a white wire, black wire, red wire and a green wire, and that this switch box is in the middle of the run for both lights, I believe there are four wires coming into the switch box, white wire, black wire , green wire, and a black wire that is ‘taped’ white.
Background: John, a Homeowner from Langhorne, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question John.
Wiring a Timer Switch to Control Lighting
Application: Wiring a Timer Control Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical project is best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the timer switch wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the timer switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
How to Wire Timer Switch for Lighting
- Timer Switches and 3Way Switches
- Typical timer switches cannot be installed with 3-way or 4-way switches unless they are installed at the first switch position, but even then if one of the other switches is toggled then the switching will be out of sequence so the lights many not come on as scheduled, but there may be a solution.
- If the light timer is to be installed where there are two 3-ways switches then the second 3-way switch may be wired through or bypassed to enable full control from the time switch only and this will work just fine. Be aware that most time switches require a separate neutral wire connection.
- Lighting Control with Home Controls and Home Automation
- Another possible alternative is to install a simple home automation system where a controller may be located in one position and a lighting control module may be installed at the light fixture or in the light switch box.
- Home control systems such that use the X-10 technology would work fine with this set up and there are other home automation solutions as well.
More about Home Automation and Lighting Applications
Basic Wall-Mount Programmer
- Home automation is about delivering practical control of your lighting and home electrical devices for your personal lifestyle which provides comfort and control and energy savings.
- I believe that enabling new technologies to customize and schedule common lifestyle activities performed everyday is beneficial in any home.
- Simply stated, quality home automation makes life easier. Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition systems are extremely useful, they have been around for years and there are numerous applications for their use, especially with Home Electrical and Automation.
- Controlling lights with single-button scene control and zone control adds new dimensions to a lighting system, a dimension you can’t achieve with a solo dimmer on the wall.
- In fact, home automation lighting is one of the most powerful methods Interior Designers use to change moods in a room.
- How to Wire Light Switches – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Learn more about Home Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about 24 Hour Time Switch, Electrical Wiring, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How Many Electrical Wires In a Junction Box||Connecting A Generator To A Home Video|